Lumberville

Oral History

Lumberville is located along River Road in Solebury Township, Bucks County, about seven miles north of New Hope. The village was settled by Colonel George Wall, a Revolutionary War officer and Bucks County Sheriff. As its name implies, Lumberville started as a lumber and sawmill town. It was originally named Wall’s Saw Mills and Walls Landing. Ultimately, William Tinsman purchased the lumber mills in 1869, and the mills are operated by his descendents to this day.

In 1835, a covered bridge was built across the Delaware River to Raven Rock, New Jersey. The river is approximately 800 feet wide at this point. One span of the bridge was carried away in the flood of 1903. That section was rebuilt as a steel span. The bridge was used until 1946. In 1949, a new bridge was built on the piers of the original, but it was built only for pedestrians so that the people of Lumberville had access to the Pennsylvania Railroad commuter passenger service in Raven Rock. The service was discontinued in 1952.

Lock 12 of the Delaware Canal is located at Lumberville. It was restored to its original condition in 2010 and is a popular location for picnics. The old canal towpath, now known as the D&L Trail, hosts thousands of hikers each year. The locktender’s house was washed away in the great flood of 1955 when hurricanes Connie and Diane struck back-to-back in the Delaware Valley.

From 1837 to 1840, Lumberville was the home of John Greenleaf Whittier, an influential American Quaker poet and ardent advocate of the abolition of slavery in the United States. Lumberville also is the birthplace of the 19th-century artist Martin Johnson Heade, a prolific American painter known for his salt marsh landscapes, seascapes, portraits of tropical birds, and still lifes.