Upper Black Eddy (Bridgeton)

Oral History

Upper Black Eddy is a village built along the longest eddy (a current moving contrary to the direction of the main current) on the Delaware River. Upper Black Eddy was named after the Black family that inhabited the area in the 1700s. Much of the town was initially founded around canal-related businesses, including a boat building yard, mule stables, and a general store. During the rafting era in the mid- to late 1800s, Upper Black Eddy was a favorite overnight stopping place for raftsmen who guided huge log and lumber rafts down the river during high water periods in spring and other times of the year. Prior to 1900, Upper Black Eddy was frequently referred to as Bridgeton, the name of the Bucks County township in which it is located.