Glendon

Oral History

Glendon is situated about two miles west of Easton on the south side of the Lehigh River. In 1855, Glendon had a population of about 500 people, most of whom were employed at the Glendon Iron Company, which manufactured pig iron from 1844 to 1894 on land between the Lehigh River and Lehigh Canal that is now Hugh Moore Park.

The Glendon Iron Company was the second anthracite-iron production facility to be established in the Lehigh Valley. Charles Jackson, Jr., an entrepreneur from Boston, Massachusetts, secured the land and began production of pig iron in 1844. A second furnace was added in 1846 when 7,000 tons of iron were produced. Most of Glendon’s iron was shipped via the Lehigh and Morris canals to New York, where it was loaded onto coastal schooners for shipment to Boston. There, it was rolled into bars at the Glendon Rolling Mill, which was also was owned by Charles Jackson, Jr. These products were then exported or sold in New England.

By 1868, the Glendon Iron Company had five furnaces. The company remained productive and profitable until 1884, when a steady decline began which resulted in the permanent closure of the company in 1894. During the next twenty years, the entire complex was demolished. A few stone ruins and the base of one furnace are all that remain of the company’s production facilities.