Lockport

Lockport was a small but thriving village located in southwest Lehigh Township along the Lehigh River, approximately two miles south of Walnutport. The village was situated at the mouth of Bertsch Creek, which took its name from David Bertsch, a settler who came to the area in 1762.

Lockport was an important boat building and repair center on the Lehigh Canal from the mid- to late 1800s. Workers built, repaired and painted canal boats and also fixed leaks with hot tar. The center was owned by Thomas Beck, who also owned Beck’s Tavern, also called the Lockport Hotel. The hotel housed travelers along the canal as well as boatmen who were seeking a night of sleep outside their boat cabins. In 1874, Lockport had 10 dwellings and a one-room schoolhouse. In 1967, the Lockport Hotel was destroyed by fire.